7.20.2004

My own Private Idaho

Yesterday, this woman sold out our national forests. To add insult to injury. She did so the capitol steps of my hometown--Boise, Idaho--opening up 60 million acres of national forest to logging companies like Weyerhaeuser. Nearly every newspaper in the country called the policy for what it was.

"Ill advised" says the Olympian. It "boggles the mind" writes the The New York Times, "that the White House should choose an election year to dismantle one of the most important and popular land preservation initiatives of the last 30 years".

Of course Bush, Inc. has a different take, calling the new policy "actions to conserve Roadless Areas."

I tend to agree with the Times. What the hell was Karl Rove thinking? Is Bush, Inc. so beholden to the logging industry that he would steamroll such a popular policy in the bright sunshine of my hometown?... I guess so. I gotta get back to work.

No comments: