Not too much to report except that I finally heard from the Public Defender's office today. My case has been sent to the "Society of Counsel Representing Accused Persons" (SCRAP, how cute).
Apparently there's some strange system in Washington whereby the Public Defender's office is actually financed from county funds, as opposed to state funds. The outcome is a system that pushes those who can't afford expensive legal defense even further to the margins. This, demonstrated today by the fact that it took nearly three weeks for my case to be assigned a lawyer.
The whole issue, in a remarkable show of good timing, has been taken up by the Seattle Times in a series that began earlier this month.
Now for those who may be asking, "what the hell are you thinking--getting a public defender in such a fu*#ed up system", I say "Good question! Know any good lawyers? Have 'em give me a call." Meantime, I'll keep you posted on the relative competence or incompetence of my assigned council--just as soon as I hear who it will be. Hell,. I may even follow in the footsteps of my cross-coastal confidant Zoe Mitchell, now defending herself (that's Pro Se, by the Way) in DC.
Stay tuned!
4.12.2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment